Monday, May 26, 2014

Maybe Yesterday, Maybe Today, Maybe Tomorrow

I met myself in a mirror yesterday,
And I tried to look over my shoulder,
But someone was there yesterday,
Guarding my back, like a soldier.
I met you in a mirror yesterday,
And I wished you wouldn’t go.
But when I met you in the mirror yesterday,
I wanted to start slow.
I said “Hi” to you yesterday,
And we danced together.
When we met in the mirror yesterday,
My soul started to get warmer.

I met myself in a mirror today,
And I tried to look over my shoulder,
But a memory was there today,
Driving me forward, like a sheepherder.
I saw you in a mirror today,
But you weren’t really there.
I saw you in a mirror today,
And I wished that you were here.
I waited for you today,
I saved the last dance for you.
But after waiting today,
I felt that you would wait, too.

I will meet myself in a mirror tomorrow,
And I will look over my shoulder.
I will meet myself in a mirror tomorrow,
And I hope that you will be there.
And when I look in a mirror tomorrow,
It will be a new day.
And we will both be older tomorrow:
Older by a day.
And maybe we will dance tomorrow,
And throw the world away:
When I meet myself in a mirror tomorrow,

I will know what you will say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment