Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Changes in Quiet

I’m curious. Fascinated, in fact. How does it work? What does this button do? Melt it all down and try to purify it, see what happens. Paint the sky with indigo, and a color I can’t describe, somewhere between a gentle pink and a lavender and plain brown. I’ve always wanted to see a new color, experience delighted confusion over something new, something I’ve never seen before. Wait for me on the side of the road, I’ll come down when I come around the mountain when I come. You think it’s a mistake, don’t you? But look closer and a song forms, unbidden, in your mind, a fun, joyful song. Is it really unbidden? It’s not, right? I called it there. You didn’t know I could do that, but I’m still getting used to change, to strange new things. Young dreams in old hearts, that’s what magic is made of. Old souls are rare, but young souls are incredible. Exploding with color, flavor, delight, laughter over something silly and odd. Peacock feathers in a green setting, lining the wall, carpeting the floor. Do you think I’m silly and odd? If not, please feel free to fill out a form enclosing your final frivolities. Old poems in new ears, a new song by an old voice. Yes, Shenandoah, life really is old here. If you think it’s plaid and boring and unattractive, I won’t be offended, but I’ll have to change my perspective of you. Glasses frame laugh lines, stretching out like an unsuspected diamond. Pretty and playful, fast and deep, some words clash without my meaning to. I didn’t give them permission, but they don’t need it, and they know that. Something new isn’t as exciting as I thought it would be. Oh, trust me, it is exciting, but it’s also solemn and quiet and gradually grows on your awareness, not so fast as to be alarming, but when you can finally focus on it, it’s not new at all, just not old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment